Affidavit No. 2053/2004

Sworn Statement

After having been warned to tell the truth and nothing but the truth or else I shall be subjected to penal action, I the undersigned, Karim Ghazi 'Abd-al-Rahman Abu-'Isa, holder of ID # 916512882, born on 6 May 1981, an unemployed and a resident of Khalet al-Iman Quarter, Nablus, Nablus Governorate, would like to declare the following:

On 1 November 2004, I was talking with my friend Amjad Ghafri in al-Yasmina Quarter beside 'Abd-al-Mughith al-Ansari School in the old city of Nablus. Fadi Serwan and Majdi Mir’i were standing at 15 metres from us to the south. At around 9:00 pm in the evening, my friend Amjad and I were surprised when we saw three people, two men and a woman, passing in front of us. One of them was had a beard and was wearing civilian clothes, the second was also in civilian clothes and was carrying a packet of sweets, and I thought that the woman was a bride due to the heavy make up she had on her face. She was wearing a gown and had a scarf on her head.

While these three people were walking in front of us, the leg of the woman bumped my foot. I then realised that they were members of the Israeli Special Squad Forces and from the hair I noticed on her legs, that the woman who was with them was not actually a woman. I whispered to Amjad what I had noticed. When these three people were two metres away from us, I saw the one who was disguised as a woman take off the gown and get out a weapon that was under the gown. I saw clearly that the one disguised as a woman was wearing a bullet-proof vest under the gown.

Without asking us for anything such as to stop or show our identity cards or any similar thing, the three people started shooting at us and at Fadi and Majdi. I was shot in the muscle of my left hand and ran away, followed by my friend Amjad. We ran for a distance of 50 metres to the south. There I was surprised to find Israeli army soldiers in their military uniform, coming down the opposite stairs. They asked us to stop, but we did not obey their orders and we ran away. They followed us for a short distance.

I hid beside al-Khadra’ Mosque under the adjacent stairs. At that moment the soldiers arrested my friend Amjad but they did not find my hiding place, although they were standing in the same place at a distance of only half a metre from me. I was hearing the sound of shooting from my hiding place. I stayed in my hiding place for two hours while I was bleeding heavily and experiencing severe pain. I was imagining that I was going to die due to the large amount of blood I was losing, to the point that I thought of surrendering, hoping that they may help me, but fear prevented me from doing that.

After two hours, the soldiers withdrew from the place and I hurriedly ran to the street to find somebody who might help me. An ambulance immediately arrived to the scene, and I was taken to al-Ittihad Hospital in Nablus where I have stayed for two weeks. That period I had many surgeries in my hand. Despite the treatment I received in the hospital, I still, after six months, need further treatment.

As for Majdi and Fadi, I was sure right after it happened that they were dead due to the intense fire that was directed at them. This was affirmed to me during my stay in the hospital. It is worth mentioning that Majdi’s right hand was in a plaster and he could not lift it. Majdi and Fadi were surprised as we were at the presence of the Special Forces. I say this as a result of what I saw during those first moments, and also because Majdi was said to have been carrying a pistol, though he would not able to use it, and I had not seen any weapon on him. I say this because Majdi was wanted by the Israeli army and the wanted persons usually carry weapons with them.

After I hid, I had not seen anything except the sound of bullets. I would like to point out that what we were subjected to had the aim of killing, and the evidence is that they did not check our identity cards or ask us for anything. Moreover, I am not wanted and I was not armed; knowing that my friend Amjad was wanted by the occupying forces, he may have been carrying a pistol on his waist but that pistol was not at all visible and he did not try to use it.

This is my declaration and hereby I sign, 25 November 2004
Signature: Karim Ghazi 'Abd-al-Rahman Abu-'Isa

Affidavit Details

  • Affidavit Number: 2053/2004
  • Field researcher: Yousef Qawareiq
  • Affidavit Date: 25 November 2004
  • Name: Karim Ghazi 'Abd-al-Rahman Abu-'Isa
Al-Haq 40th Anniversary
  • Recent Added
  • Weekly Focus
  • Gaza
Simple Dreams Everything is forbidden

Al-Haq on Twitter