Affidavit No. 1853/2004

Sworn Statement

After having been warned to tell the truth and nothing but the truth or else I shall be subjected to penal action, I the undersigned, Lou'ay Suleiman 'Abd-al-Nabi, holder of ID # 993123177, born on 26 March 1979, a second year student at al-Najah University, and resident of Balata refugee camp in the Nablus Governorate, would like to declare the following:

On 14 June 2004, at 9:40 pm, I was sitting inside Abu-Usama Café near the main street in the north part of Balata Camp, opposite Ya'qoub Well. While I was talking with the owner of the café, I saw strong light coming from the sky towards the ground, heading to the street near us. This light was accompanied by very loud explosion. I immediately went out of the café and many other persons who were also inside followed. I saw a car driving on the street adjacent to us, and it was coming from the west, heading east. Many parts of this car were missing, especially on its right side. The car swerved uncontrollably about 20 metres and then it collided with another car that was owned by a camp resident and was parked on the side of the street.

When the car stopped, many people, including me, approached the car. I saw the driver in a very terrible situation: his face was burned and his face bent on the gear of the car as if he was carried by another person. Promptly, I looked at the back seat where I saw another person whose body was also burnt. I asked him if he was still alive and he moved his eyes. I knew that he was still alive, so I began with the help of the many others who crowded around the car to take him and the driver out of the car. As we moved the driver, we saw another body turned black with its left hand and leg almost amputated. We could not identify these young men because they were burnt beyond recognition. Later on, I found out that these men were Khalil 'Araysha, Muhammad Safwat and the driver 'Awad Abu-Zeid. I was astonished because I could not recognise my fellow camp residents and my friends Khalil and Muhammad, indicating the extent to which their bodies were disfigured.

After few minutes, we were able to carry the three men by ambulance and a private car to Rafidiya Hospital in Nablus City. We transported Muhammad by the private car and did not wait for the ambulance, because he was alive yet in very critical situation. Although we were sure that they were dead, Khalil and 'Awad were transferred by the ambulance, which arrived a few minutes late. As for Muhammad Safwat, he is still alive and he is recovering.

This is my declaration and hereby I sign, on 21 June 2004

Affidavit Details

  • Affidavit Number: 1853/2004
  • Field researcher: Yousef Qawareiq
  • Affidavit Date: 21 June 2004
  • Name: Lou'ay Suleiman 'Abd-al-Nabi
Job Vacancy
Simple Dreams Everything is forbidden

Al-Haq on Twitter