Affidavit No. 4990/2009

Sworn Statement

After having been warned to tell the truth and nothing but the truth or else I shall be subjected to penal action, I, the undersigned, „Imad Husam Muhammad Jawabra, of Palestinian nationality, holder of ID No. 907927644, born on 20 September 1981, a worker and a resident of the „Asira al-Shamaliya town, Nablus governorate, would like to declare the following:

At around 10:30 pm on 15 June 2009, I was present in my house in my village of „Asira al-Shamaliya. While I was descending the internal staircase, I saw more than five Palestinian Authority patrol vehicles arrive and stop in front of the house. Approximately 20 persons, who were wearing military uniforms and carrying long weapons, stepped out of the vehicles and took position around the house. I also saw many of them entering into the internal yard around the house by entering the main gate in the wall, which had been unlocked.

I immediately went outside. When they saw me, a person asked for my name. I answered that my name was „Imad. Then, he asked for my ID card. After asking them what agency they belonged to, he answered that they were from the Palestinian General Intelligence. I requested that he allow me to dress. He did not object and accompanied me. I also requested that I go to the bathroom. He allowed me do so and waited at the door.

Then, the General Intelligence officer demanded that I go out to the street. Having walked for several metres along the street, officers placed me on the rear seat of a patrol vehicle and lifted my shirt over my face and head. The patrol vehicle drove towards the village. As I was fully familiar with the village and its roads, I realised that the patrol (as well as the other patrols) had stopped near a house belonging to Fadi Husni Hamarna, about 27-years-old. Less than an hour later, the patrol vehicles withdrew from the area surrounding the house. I do not know what happened afterwards.

Having driven for about 15 minutes, I realised that I had arrived at the General Intelligence headquarters in al-Jneid Prison. I could see what was going on from under my shirt. I was taken out of the patrol vehicle. A short while later, I saw a number of security officers take Fadi out of another patrol vehicle. A security officer then secured Fadi‟s wrist and my wrist together with one pair of iron handcuffs.

Inside the prison, we were uncuffed and then taken to the service centre, which is where the doctor‟s room is. A physician asked us several standard questions, including whether we were suffering from any diseases or not. After a short time inside the doctor‟s room, they took us out of the room and stopped us at a distance of 10 to 12 metres away from each another. In addition to being blindfolded, our hands were tied with pieces of cloth, each one of us by himself. After standing for almost two hours, I was forced into a room, measuring six to eight square metres. Although I did not see him, Fadi was also put into a room. I did not hear any sound or movement along the corridor between rooms, but I assume that he had been admitted into another room.

I stayed in the room until 9:00 am the next day. Though I did not have a watch, I could recognise the time because breakfast was served, and it is distributed at approximately this time. I should note that I had been detained in the al-Jneid Prison by the General Intelligence agency before, so I have had similar experiences previously.

After having breakfast, I was taken for interrogation into an office. I was questioned for a period of 10 to 15 minutes. Then, a security officer wearing a civil uniform took me out of the room and subjected me to shabeh. Blindfolded and handcuffed with a piece of cloth behind my back, I was forced to stand with my face against a wall. I was subjected to this position until around 1:00 pm. I was then taken to another room, where I had lunch. Approximately one hour later, I was again subjected to the same previous position of shabeh until 9:00 pm.

I was then taken back to the same room, where I stayed until about 10:30 pm. Thereafter, I was interrogated for about half an hour. During the interrogation, my handcuffs and blindfold were removed. Then, I was subjected to another method of shabeh. For a period of one hour, I was forced to lift my hands, which were tied to a metal pipe in the corridor. During the first minute, from underneath my blindfold, I saw Fadi being subjected to the same method of shabeh.

“God help us!” Fadi said as I screamed of the pain I felt in my hands.
The Interrogation Director arrived minutes later. I had met him before. His name was Abu-„Uday and was about 40 years of age. Immediately, he asked Fadi his name, Fadi replied, and he asked him whether he had performed the evening prayers. Fadi replied he had not. The Interrogation Director ordered a security officer to take Fadi to a room so that could perform the prayers. The Interrogation Director asked me the same question and I was taken to a room. I stayed in that room for three days without any interrogation. During this time, I did not know what was happening with Fadi.

At noon on Saturday, I was subjected to shabeh again. I was blindfolded and my hands were tied behind my back with a piece of cloth while I was forced to stand against a wall. I was forced to stand in this position for three days. During this time, however, I sometimes released from shabeh at mealtimes, which coincided with the times of prayers. However, this would depend on the mood of the security personnel.

On Monday afternoon (the last day of shabeh), I gave a statement in the interrogation room. About half an hour later, I was brought back to my room. About half an hour after I had my dinner, I was taken out for shabeh once again for one hour, and then brought back to the room. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, I was not questioned, but was subjected to shabeh at intervals. During this time, I did not know anything about Fadi‟s situation.

On Thursday, 2 July 2009, 17 days after I had first been arrested, my family visited me for the first time. On Thursday, because of my family‟s visit, and also on Friday, I was not interrogated. At 8:30 am on Saturday, an interrogator told me to prepare myself and questioned me for 15 minutes. Then, he subjected me to shabeh until 10:00 am. At that time, the interrogator took me to another interrogation office, with a bed inside. He forcefully tied my hands behind my back with iron handcuffs, ordered me to lie on the bed and take off my shoes and stockings and he asked me many questions. Then, he subjected me to a Falaka (foot-whipping) with a plastic pipe. He beat the soles of my feet 15 times. Later, the interrogator ordered a security officer to subject me to shabeh. I screamed of the pain I felt in my hands and feet as I walked out of the interrogation room.

Five minutes later, my iron handcuffs were removed. I was blindfolded and my hands tied with a piece of cloth. At the noon call to prayers, I was brought back to interrogation. The interrogator asked if I had anything to say, but I said I did not. I was then taken to a room to eat. For the next two days, I was not subjected to interrogation or shabeh. At noon on the third day, I was blindfolded and my hands tied behind my back with a piece of cloth. I was also subjected to shabeh with my face against a wall for almost 20 minutes.

On the evening of 7 July 2009, an interrogator came and asked for my name.
“‟Imad Jawabra.” I answered.
“I want to take you to your room and have you rest.” He said and sent me to room no. two
The same day, the interrogator also ordered me to leave the room to distribute meals to detainees and security officers. A security officer would accompany me as I distributed these meals. For about 20 days, I used to see Fadi in room no. six, along with a number of other detainees. Then, Fadi was relocated to room no. four, where he was held with other detainees as well. He stayed in that room for ten days or more, after which he was taken to room no. three where he was held alone.

I was also relocated to a number of rooms during this time. Finally, I settled in room no. one. Until 4 August 2009, I was not questioned or subjected to shabeh. As far as I know, Fadi was not subjected to interrogation or shabeh over this period.

On 3 August 2009, six other detainees and I were allowed out for about one hour. Fadi and I walked together. He was in good health. During the walk, Abu-„Uday (the Interrogation Director) told us that we were about to be released. Upon the request of the security officers, Fadi would distribute meals on some days. During this time, Fadi remained in room no. 4.

Until the morning of 4 August 2009, Fadi was in good physical and psychological condition. In the afternoon, a security officer came to my room and demanded that I go out and irrigate the garden outside, where some vegetables were grown. Another two detainees were also brought out of room no. four where Fadi was being held. These were Muhammad „Assida, 30 years old and a resident of the village of Til, and Ahmad „Omar, a resident of the city of Nablus. They asked if I had seen Fadi being subjected to shabeh, but I answered I did not. However, they confirmed that Fadi had been forced out of the room at around 12:00 pm and subjected to shabeh. Half an hour later, I was taken back to room no. one. During this time, I did not see Fadi.

In the morning of 5 August 2009, I saw an interrogator beside the door of room no. three. He was holding Fadi and forcing him into that room. Over an hour after the interrogator had left, another interrogator brought me out of room no. one and into a cell. I knew the interrogator: his name was Najib. He was about 40 years of age and a resident of the village of Deir Sharaf. I stayed for one hour in the cell, which measured only three square metres and had no pieces of furniture. During this time, I did not have breakfast in protest against my relocation to this cell. Then, Najib took me out to the interrogation room. For ten minutes, he asked me several questions. During this time, I was not handcuffed or blindfolded. Later, Najib demanded that I crouch up and down, which I did for five minutes.

“I had a bone fracture in my right leg. A platinum bar is inserted in my leg.” I told the interrogator.
He ordered a security officer to subject me to shabeh in the corridor. A security officer tied my hands with a piece of cloth behind my back, blindfolded me, and forced to stand against a wall in the corridor. I moved my head against the wall and tried to remove the blindfold. I tried to see if anyone else was being subjected to shabeh in the corridor.

I saw Fadi stand several meters away from me. He was blindfolded and his hands were tied with a piece of cloth behind his back. This was on 5 August 2009. I asked him where he had been over the previous day He said he had been here (i.e. being subjected to shabeh). I also saw security officers subject Naser Jarar‟a, who was about 29 years of age and Fadi‟s brother-in-law, to shabeh. I could hear the interrogator Najib take Fadi and Naser for interrogation. Both came back 15 minutes later.

An hour later, I was taken to another cell with a small mattress inside. During this time, I did not know anything about Fadi and Naser. However, I thought that they had been relocated to rooms, as I did not hear their voices. After I stayed for half an hour inside the cell, I was brought to room no. one, where I had been held before. I stayed in this room Friday and Saturday.

At 12:00 pm on Sunday, 9 August 2009, I was relocated to room no. two, where I was subjected to shabeh. Also blindfolded, I was forced to stand with my hands tied behind my back. At 1:00 pm (around lunch time), my blindfold and handcuffs were removed for half an hour. Thereafter, the interrogator took me out to the corridor and subjected me to shabeh. About half an hour before the sunset call to prayers, I was brought back to room no. two. During this time, I was not handcuffed nor blindfolded.

At 12:00 or 1:00 am, however, I was subjected to another round of interrogation, On my way into the interrogation room, I saw Fadi standing against a wall in the corridor. He was blindfolded and his hands were tied behind his back with a piece of cloth. My interrogation lasted ten minutes.

On my way out of the interrogator‟s room, I saw Fadi standing in the same position. Five minutes later, I heard the sound of a door closing. As it was very close, I thought it was the door of room no. three, the room next to my room, where Fadi had been relocated to several days ago. When I looked through a hole in the door of my room, I could no longer see Fadi in the corridor. Therefore, I assumed that he had been taken into the room. I then fell asleep.

At around 8:00 am, I heard security officer Ibrahim Salahat call Fadi, but no one answered. As I looked through the hole in the door, I saw the security officer hurry out and shout for the interrogator.
“Come. He has hanged himself!” Salahat shouted.

I saw Muhammad al-Nabhan, an interrogator, hurry to Fadi‟s room. Meanwhile, I shouted that they get me out of the room as I had an idea about artificial breathing. I was allowed out a short while later. Interrogators had taken out Shaker, whose room was adjacent to Fadi‟s. When I arrived, I saw Fadi lying on his back on the ground. Immediately, I placed my ear on his heart, which was not beating. The interrogator demanded that we splash water on Fadi, but we said he was dead.

After a few moments, a physician from the Military Medical Services arrived and examined Fadi. He said that Fadi had died a while earlier, as his dead body was cold.

Later, Abu-„Uday, the Interrogation Director, came to inquire about what we had seen. I was then held in Shaker‟s room, along with Ahmad and Muhammad „Assida. We requested that interrogators bring Naser, Fadi‟s brother-in-law to our room. We preferred that he would not have to stay alone in his room. When he came in, he was in terrible condition: he was in an agitated state. A physician from the Military Medical Services injected Naser with a tranquiliser.

At around 1:00 pm, Shaker and I were transported to the court in the city of Nablus to make a statement about Fadi. Later, we begged interrogators to see Fadi‟s dead body. However, they said that a decision had been made to release us. We were taken back to the al-Jneid Prison, where we received our personal belongings and were released.

Affidavit Details

  • Affidavit Number: 4990/2009
  • Field researcher: Yousef Qawareiq
  • Affidavit Date: 11 August 2009
  • Name: „Imad Husam Muhammad Jawabra
Al-Haq 40th Anniversary
  • Recent Added
  • Weekly Focus
  • Gaza
Simple Dreams Everything is forbidden

Al-Haq on Twitter