Affidavit No. 2674/2005

Sworn Statement

After having been warned to tell the truth and nothing but the truth or else I shall be subjected to penal action, I the undersigned, Muhammad Fadel 'Abd-al-Rahman Qasem, holder of ID # 853543122, born on 22 January 1993, a student in theseventh grade and a resident of the Jenin Camp, Jenin Governorate, would like todeclare the following:

At approximately 2:00 am on Wednesday, 30 November 2005, I was sleeping in my home located at the Wikala (UNRWA) quarter in Jenin Camp, specifically near the UNRWA office. My mother woke me up saying, “Get up, the army is at the neighbor's house”. She meant the house of Abu-Ahmad al-Qasem located immediately south of our home. I got up, put on my clothes and prepared myself, scared that the Israeli army may enter our home. At 2:15 am, the Israeli army told us through their megaphones to get out of our homes, “Everyone who is in the house must come outside.” My father went out first, followed by my mother and my aunt. There were nine of us in the house. After 15 minutes, all the above-mentioned returned home. Our home consists of two floors. My family lives on the upper floor and my aunt Rihab 'Abd-al-Rahman lives on the lower floor.

After my father, mother and aunt returned, the Israeli army, who were in front of our home, threw a sound bomb which exploded at our front door creating a horrible noise. All of a sudden, I saw a big brown dog with a hearing device tied to its ear and an iron chain on his neck. Without exaggeration, the dog was the same size as a donkey. The dog came close to us, opening its eyes and sticking its tongue out of its mouth. My brothers and sisters, 'Abd-al-Rahman (17 years), Asma’ (16 years), 'Umar (10 years), Ahmad (9 years) and Ayat (4 years), and I were very scared and sat on the floor close to each other. The dog slowly came closer to us. It first came near my father and smelled him, then my mother, followed by my aunt and then me and my brothers and sisters. Then it climbed the stairs and entered the second floor and went from one room to another. This continued for around 3 minutes. While the dog was in the kitchen, I moved from my place and sat beside my sister Ayat who was crying out of fear.

When the dog returned, it seemed to have noticed that I changed my place. Immediately, it bit my left thigh and pulled me. I felt severe pain in my thigh and started yelling at the top of my voice, “Dad, dad!” The dog dragged me from the upper floor to the ground floor, pulling me down the stairs, and then pulled me outside our home onto the street. I was shouting from the pain and felt the teeth of the dog deep in my thigh. On the street, I saw a large number of Israeli soldiers preparing their guns to shoot at me. My father ran after me and held me, although the dog still had its teeth in my flesh. The soldiers came near me and tried to detach me from the dog but the dog swallowed a piece of flesh from my left thigh.

An Israeli soldier carried me and put me down at the entrance of our home and some soldiers treated my wound. I remember that they put glucose on the wound, gave me an injection and wrapped my left thigh.

Afterwards the Red Crescent Society ambulance came, it seems upon the request of the Israeli army, and carried me to the Jenin governmental hospital. I am still in the hospital, undergoing treatment. I was very scared and badly psychologically scarred. Even now, I shake whenever I remember the dog and how it attacked and pulled me.

It is worth noting that Ahmad al-Khatib, who was killed by the Israel army on the first day of 'Eid al-Fitr (3 November 2005) at the eastern entrance of Jenin camp, is my classmate and one of my dearest friends. As the whole world heard, Ahmad's organs have been donated to Israeli children. For that reason, I appeal to all who can hear me and say: We gave life to Israeli children but on the other side the Israeli army insists, to a frightening degree, on killing our children's ability to live a normal childhood. Indeed, the dog was going to kill me. Although it did not kill my soul, it killed my childhood and turned my life into a life of horror.

This is my statement and hereby I sign, 1 December 2005
Signature: Muhammad Qassem

Affidavit Details

  • Affidavit Number: 2674/2005
  • Field researcher: Tareq al-Haj Mahmoud
  • Affidavit Date: 1 December 2005
  • Name: Muhammad Qassem
Al-Haq 40th Anniversary
  • Recent Added
  • Weekly Focus
  • Gaza
Simple Dreams Everything is forbidden

Al-Haq on Twitter