Affidavit No. 2149/2005

Sworn Statement

After having been warned to tell the truth and nothing but the truth or else I shall be subjected to penal action, I the undersigned, Yihiya Taleb 'Abd-al-Qader Nazzal, holder of ID # [unknown], born on 28 April 1985, a labourer and a resident of Ghayatha Quarter in Qalqiliya, Qalqiliya Governorate, would like to declare the following:

At around 3:00 pm 26 January 2005, I was with my friends Maher Harb and Muhammad Khamis in a car that Maher was driving in Qalqiliya, specifically in the central part of Kufr Saba Quarter. I was sitting in the back seat while Muhammad was sitting in the front passenger seat, and Maher was driving very slowly due to the potholes in the street. All of a sudden, someone shouted, “Stop!” and was shooting at the car. I looked around and saw three persons surrounding the car and firing at us. I saw one of them, the one who was standing on the right side, aim his gun directly at Maher from a distance not exceeding two metres, then shoot him in the neck. Maher immediately leaned to his left side, bleeding, and at that moment the car crashed into a nearby tree on the sidewalk, coming to a complete stop.

At this point, I saw a white Volkswagen car stopped in front of us. Then the three men opened the car doors and fired at Muhammad Khamis, who was injured. I realised that they were from the Special Squads, and one of them grasped my bleeding left hand, and asked me about the weapons and hit me with the butt of his gun, I told him that we did not have weapons, while my friend Muhammad and I were yelling from pain. Maher was not moving or breathing and I thought that he was dead at that moment. This was not enough for one of the soldiers who was one and a half metres away from me, sitting on one knee and a half; he shot at my right leg. Then he and the other soldiers pulled us out of the car and dragged us on the ground for a distance of around 12 metres to one of the nearby shops. One of the soldiers then asked me about my name, and I told him, “Yihiya,” and he responded “Nazzal,” and then said this is Muhammad Khamis and this is Maher (al-Somali).

These soldiers held us under their feet until two patrols arrived, which they put us inside and took us the Liaison Office on the eastern side at the entry of Qalqiliya. There, they threw us out of the patrol cars and on to the ground. An Israeli doctor came and examined us. When he examined Maher, he said that he was dead, while the soldiers put Muhammad Khamis and me in an ambulance and took us to an unknown place, which I later learned was the Belinson Hospital inside Israel. I stayed there for five days and then I was referred to the Emergency Hospital in Qalqiliya. I am still under treatment for the injury I sustained in my leg, which was the result of explosive bullets that penetrated the bone of my thigh and leg. It is worth mentioning that the Special Squad soldiers have practiced the severest types of oppression, torture, and wilful killing against us without any justification especially that none of us was armed and it was very easy for them to arrest us. As for my friend Muhammad Khamis, he is in a critical situation and is still undergoing treatment.

This is my declaration and hereby I sign, on 2 February 2005
Signature: Yihiya Taleb 'Abd-al-Qader Nazzal

Affidavit Details

  • Affidavit Number: 2149/2005
  • Field researcher: Yousef Qawareiq
  • Affidavit Date: 2 February 2005
  • Name: Yihiya Taleb 'Abd-al-Qader Nazzal
Simple Dreams Everything is forbidden

Al-Haq on Twitter