Between 8 and 21 November 2012, the Gaza Strip has been under indiscriminate and disproportionate Israeli attacks. Al-Haq's Q&A answers the following 10 questions:
- What is the sequence of events that led to the escalation of attacks in the Gaza Strip?
- What is the legal framework applicable to the situation in the Gaza Strip?
- Why is Israel’s justification of ‘self-defence’ misleading?
- Why is Israel’s use of the terrorism paradigm a distortion of international law?
- What constitute a legitimate military target?
- How are civilian objects protected during armed conflict?
- What are the relevant considerations of a ceasefire agreement between Palestinian armed groups and Israel under international law?
- What are the responsibilities incumbent upon Israel?
- How can individuals be held criminally responsible under international law?
- What are the responsibilities incumbent upon Third States?
Click here to download Al-Haq’s Legal Analysis on the Escalation of Attacks in the Gaza Strip between 8 and 21 November 2012